Old 19-06-2012, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID tree: cordate lvs, toothed margins, please

In article ,
Rachel 101 wrote:

Regarding my request for help ID-ing my unknown, cordate-leaved, spurred
foliage tree:

So, to return to the mystery tree: bizarrely, Davidia involucrata is
looking the best so far. I'll be going back for another look hopefully
later this week, so I shall try to look for more clues. If there's
anything that I should be looking at in particular, do please let me
know.

Not so bizarrely - Bean said that it sets seed readily, and they
are easy to germinate.

It also says that the leaves have a long fine point at the end,
veins at about 45 degrees, are 3/4 as wide as long, about 3-6"
long with 1.5-3" leaf stalks (in adults).

There are two forms, one with furry leaves and one without, so
that doesn't help.

And it says that the young twigs have a glaucus (bluish) bloom,
but my experience is that such blooms can get washed off in very
heavy rain.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.