Old 19-06-2012, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Strawberries

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:43:02 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Oh! I thought that was why they were called 'straw'berries?

There is a body of opinion that says, in times gone by, the plants
were known as "strewn berries" because of the way the berries were
strewn all over the plant and it is from this name that "strawberry"
evolved.

I grow mine in tower thingies so they are off the ground, easy to
protect from sluggies and the like and easy to net from birds. 24
plants take up about 3 square feet of ground which is pretty efficient
use of it.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?