Old 19-06-2012, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID tree: cordate lvs, toothed margins, please

On 06/19/2012 10:49 AM, wrote:
In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

So, to return to the mystery tree: bizarrely, Davidia involucrata is
looking the best so far. I'll be going back for another look hopefully
later this week, so I shall try to look for more clues. If there's
anything that I should be looking at in particular, do please let me
know.

Not so bizarrely - Bean said that it sets seed readily, and they
are easy to germinate.

I was going to make that point. I know some people who have germinated
the seeds without any particular difficulty. It could just be a self
seeded tree.

Still and all, my guess feels a bit off to me... the leaf grouping looks
odd, unless there's natural variation.

Yes, that was what puzzled me most, because Bean didn't mention it.
However, one of the pictures in that could have been multiple stalks,
so I did some searching online. Look at:

http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo_o...Tree_leaves_in

Interesting, I see what you mean. Sometimes for one reason or another
the inter-nodal length gets very short, and it looks like a spray of
leaves. Perhaps that's what we're seeing here.

Davidia seems to require particularly open soil to put on good nodal growth.