Old 19-06-2012, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Strawberries

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:48:37 GMT, Baz wrote:

Jake wrote in
:

I grow mine in tower thingies so they are off the ground, easy to
protect from sluggies and the like and easy to net from birds. 24
plants take up about 3 square feet of ground which is pretty efficient
use of it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?

It's just remembering to water them isn't it. Easy to forget a day and ruin
them? I mean normally, not this shi**y year, says me wearing a sweater in
summer. It still gets quite a cold feel today in N.Lincs. But improving as
the forecast says.

Baz

I have a drip irrigation system for the wall planters and hanging
baskets. The strawberry towers just happen to be underneath baskets so
get lots of twice daily drips. They are also in "saucers" which hold
about a gallon of water each and which feed up through the tower tiers
with a wick system. So it's just a case of remembering the weekly
feed.

Even with the heavy rain of late, it's surprising how dry tubs,
baskets and planters remain - the foliage sends most of the rain down
to ground beside them.

Cheers, Jake