Old 19-06-2012, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate

On 19/06/2012 13:30, Alan Holmes wrote:
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
r...
On 18/06/2012 19:15, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:44:38 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Is it selective? I want to use it next to a holly and some other
bushes.

It selects almost anything it comes in contact with.

My father sprayed some weeds next to a huge fifty year old clump of
rhubarb and accidentally got some spray on its leaves killing it!

It is vicious stuff, takes no prisoners with few exceptions - ivy
seemingly being one.

I've been trying to find someting to kill the ivy, are you saying I can't
use it for that?

If not what can I use?

To kill the ivy that is?

Alan

In my experience straight generic glyphosate doesn't kill it. The leaves
are probably too waxy for the glyphosate to be absorbed. Maybe it would
work if a little washing up liquid was added as a wetting agent?