Old 19-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Milliebert Milliebert is offline
Registered User

Location: Derbyshire
Smile Newbie to all things gardening!

Hello,

My real name is Chrissie, and I live in Derbyshire. I moved house last year to a corner plot and my front garden is much bigger than my small very badly concreted back yard.

I have never done gardening before. It's taken me a year to sort the house out and am now ready to tackle the outside. I know exactly what I want, but I have no idea how to do it!

I'd really like to put photos somewhere, and show you all what I am faced with. The gardens are both like a blank canvas really, they aren't overgrown or anything, and I have a lawn at the front. I did manage to plant some bulbs in a border I dug out, and they came through quite successfully.

The first thing I would like to do is dig out two circles in the lawn and plant two apple trees. Does anyone know which variety would be best? Ideally I'd like a cooker and an eater, but do the need to be the same variety if I have two? When is the best time to plant them?

Because I am on a corner, the garden feels very exposed and I would like some privacy, and eventually I'd like to be able to use some things I've grown, like herbs, chillis, garlic, maybe carrots and potatoes? And definitely beetroot, I could live on that! And flowers, I love flowers, and hanging baskets and window boxes... the more the merrier!

So any advice would be welcome and any questions you have, please ask!