Old 19-06-2012, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Response to plants?

"Rod" wrote in message
I take it as read that most folk here have a generally favourable reaction
to most plants. We all have our favourites and pets of course but I'm not
thinking about that.
Rather I'm asking how visitors to your gardens react to what they
see/smell/touch?
Sadly I and Mrs Rod are beginning to conclude that most folks are almost
blind to plants or almost scared of them turning into triffids and
overwhelming the world.
Also profoundly ignorant - where were they when biology was being taught
at school?
In the last week or 2 we've seen a perfectly innocent Cedrus deodora
'pendula' destroyed because it was shedding it's old needles, a lovely
honeysuckle destroyed in full bud - the guy didn't even know what it was
and too stupid to ask.
A mature and beautiful bush of the rose 'Ena Harkness' 'pruned'(mutilated)
in full flower - It was cut down to less than half flowers/buds
notwithstanding.
In our garden a common reaction is 'nice fence' or 'can I look in your
workshop?'
The profusion of flowers, foliage and scents commonly gets 'null points'

Rod

Not only that, but yesterday it happened I was out in my garden and heard my
neighbours say "Look at all these wasps! they will sting our child."
They weren't wasps, they were hoverflies. And they came out with a
insecticidal spray and zapped them :-(