Old 19-06-2012, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My poisonous mushroom

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Just picked it. The cap is flat 4.25 inches across, was white now going
brown. The gills are brown and the stem has a frill near the cap (although
unfortunately I broke the stem when I picked it. It was an inch and 3/4 high
stem)
I can peel the cap.

Open to your ideas. I only get one of these every year. I ate one because
it looked like a good 'un.
I sure wished I hadn't.

Photographs would help a lot, to identify whether the frill is
really a ring, but the thing that would help most of all is to
know the spore colour. Also, what SORT of brown, and how dark?
It makes a difference whether teddy bear, russet, traditional
shoe brown, chocolate or purplish - that's the gills. Also,
some indication of the cap and stem colour and texture would help.

I may be able to guess, but the ones I am thinking of are not
all that common (I have never seen them), and would rather not
jump in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.