Old 19-06-2012, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default dangerous, but what?

On 19/06/2012 20:07, Emery Davis wrote:
On 06/19/2012 08:25 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 18:24:35 +0200, Emery Davis
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/cklvbye

The French government thinks it is not Anoplophora chinensis. Which is
good because I don't want my garden chipped and burned. The guy
from the ministry suggested perhaps Cossus cossus,

So, what beastie has done the deed?

I've been inspected for the last 3 years for Anoplophora, so this had me
very worried indeed. I'm still not totally sanguine about it, honestly.

-E

I don't understand. Did you make the big holes or was it something
like a woodpecker, and if the latter, or perhaps the former, what was
it, or were you, looking for? The grubs of either of those insects,
perhaps?

I haven't touched the tree. There are small entrance holes on the back
side, then tunnels connected to the holes seen in the picture which are
exit holes. Definitely not a woodpecker. The ejecta of the grub in the
tree could be seen pushing out of the entrance holes, it looked like wet
sawdust.

I have contact with the forestry ministry because of the paper trail
between the garden and Boskoop, where the Anoplophora was found in
nurseries I deal with.

I am interested in what sort of insect made these exit holes, and the
tunnels. Since whatever it is has flown off, positive ID is impossible.

I'd cut it down and burn it