Old 19-06-2012, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Swarm of what?

On 19/06/2012 21:11, Emery Davis wrote:
On 06/19/2012 08:16 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 19:30:32 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

While sitting outside this afternoon my attention was caught by an
intense buzzing sound. Looking up I saw a cloud around 50 feet diameter
and twenty feet off the ground move close to our house then drift off
over the lawn then it moved off into the distance across a field. The
cloud must have consisted of thousands of buzzing individuals. I
couldn't see what insect it was - it was literally a huge buzzing cloud
of dots. Bees or what? I've never seen anything like it in my life in
all my years of rural living. I didn't think bees made such huge swarm
clouds?

Sounds like a large primary swarm of bees. Bear in mind that June is
the month when bees are most likely to swarm, and a large colony may
contain some 50,000 bees half of which may debunk in the first
(primary) swarm.

Yes, a swarm of bees indeed. What a sight! Fantastic.

If you can spot where they've gone, a local apiarist will be really
pleased to come and collect them for a hive. Then you'll be able to eat
the honey from "your bees" for many years to come.

cheers,

They just disappeared into the distance over a neighbouring farmers
field of maze. I was a somewhat relieved when they'd gone! It was quite
a stunning and surprising sight though.