Old 20-06-2012, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree Stump Removal

On 6/19/12 7:04 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jun 19, 1:52 am, Jason Burke
wrote:
Hi. Converting a tree stump into a planter is one of the best way to
decorate your garden. It's beneficial also, because the new plants will
get all sorts of nutrition from the dead tree. Nowadays, more & more
people are using dead tree stump as planters. By this, we can reuse the
dead tree, can decorate our garden & grow more plants.

--
Jason Burke

But isn't it challenging to hollow out the stump? Or am I not getting
it...?

HB

Many years ago, my neighbor planted a row Italian cypress (a southern
California garden cliche) too close together along the property line
between his front lawn and mine. When they grew up, every breeze caused
them to batter each other, leaving bald vertical bands where they faced
each other.

About 10 years ago, he had alternating trees removed, cutting them down
but not grinding out the stumps. The remaining cypresses recovered and
filled in where they had become bare.

Although they are regularly wet by his and my lawn sprinklers, the
stumps of the removed trees are still too hard for anyone to dig out a
hollow for use as a planter.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see