Old 19-06-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My poisonous mushroom

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

It makes a difference whether teddy bear, russet, traditional
shoe brown, chocolate or purplish - that's the gills.

Chocolate.

Also,
some indication of the cap and stem colour and texture would help.

Cap was white, now going brownish, stem is white. Texture is what you would
expect from a mushroom you can eat.
No spores evident. It has a frill or ring on the stem near the cap. My
camera is out of order atm.
I only get the one, never more.

I may be able to guess, but the ones I am thinking of are not
all that common (I have never seen them), and would rather not
jump in.

Guess away. It made me ill, and sometimes we get uncommon things.

Before I do, please do that spore colour test! All you need to
do is to leave parts of the cap, gill side down, on blackish and
white papers overnight. Spore colour is one of THE critical
diagnostic features!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.