Old 20-06-2012, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Swarm of what?

"Jake" wrote in message
On 20 Jun 2012 11:46:22 GMT, wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I have to disagree that keeping bees is hard work. Inspecting a hive
every two weeks for three months really isn't that arduous. If you see
queen cells forming, you knock them off. If anyone is interested in
keeping bees - and heaven knows we need them in the world - find a
local bee keeping course and go for it! I cannot think of another food
producing, plant pollinanting and therefore human food production
creature that requires less human intervention.

Interesting that you say that. That would have been my opinion until Nick
started keeping bees, and now he seems to spend more time Doing Bee Stuff
than anything else, including sleeping.

Someone I used to work with started keeping bees when he retired. His
wife often said that there seemed to be a lot more work involved than
she had expected because he was down at his hives (some miles from the
house) almost every day. He knew what he was doing - he'd built a
fence around his hive area in the farmer's field with a little gate in
it. On the opposite side of the enclosure, outside the fence, was a
large shed which the casual observer would think was not part of his
"property". I visited him there on several occasions. Camping stove
for tea etc., cool box for beer, TV running off a spare car battery,
shelves of books.......

Uhoh!!!!!!!!!! lol

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/