Old 20-06-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default My poisonous mushroom

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:09:02 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:42:39 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Just picked it. The cap is flat 4.25 inches across, was white now going
brown. The gills are brown and the stem has a frill near the cap
(although
unfortunately I broke the stem when I picked it. It was an inch and 3/4
high
stem)
I can peel the cap.

Open to your ideas. I only get one of these every year. I ate one
because
it looked like a good 'un.
I sure wished I hadn't.

Photographs would help a lot, to identify whether the frill is
really a ring, but the thing that would help most of all is to
know the spore colour. Also, what SORT of brown, and how dark?
It makes a difference whether teddy bear, russet, traditional
shoe brown, chocolate or purplish - that's the gills.

Chocolate.

Also,
some indication of the cap and stem colour and texture would help.

Cap was white, now going brownish, stem is white. Texture is what you would
expect from a mushroom you can eat.
No spores evident. It has a frill or ring on the stem near the cap. My
camera is out of order atm.
I only get the one, never more.

I may be able to guess, but the ones I am thinking of are not
all that common (I have never seen them), and would rather not
jump in.

Guess away. It made me ill, and sometimes we get uncommon things.

Even ordinary mushrooms make me ill. When I was a breast-feeding baby,
I was even ill after my mother had eaten some.

I always thought Chris Hogg was male but today's post proves me wrong!
LOL

Pam in Bristol