Old 21-06-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Which poppy was it?

On 13/06/2012 18:27, LittleSue wrote:
Nine years ago a neighbour gave us some poppy seeds. The flowers had
mainly white petals with some red at the bottom. As the season
progressed successive blooms had more red, until they were mainly red
with just a white border at the top (I think it was that way round!).
The details are hazy due to a tragic bereavement that year which blocked
out other things. Apart from being striking and unusual, the presence of
'poppies for remembrance' seemed appropriate.

I'd like to grow more of those poppies next year to mark the 10th
anniversary, but have moved house and lost touch with the neighbour.
Does anyone know what these were and where I might obtain seeds? Also
are the seeds best planted this autumn or next spring? I live in
Manchester.

Thanks in advance

Hi Sue,

I suspect your poppy may have been the white form of Papaver rhoeas,
which displayed an increasing tendency to revert to its fully red form.

I think your best chance of repeating your poppy would be to buy either

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowe...l-white/8278TM

or

http://www.sarahraven.com/shop/seeds...ppy-white.html

and hope that there is some slight reversion to red. I suspect there is
a strong tendency for this to happen. If so, you can save seed from
those plants which most match those in your memory. They may or may not
come true to the favoured white and red parent, but I think it's worth a
try.

Hope this helps.

--
Spider