Old 21-06-2012, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Response to plants?

On 21/06/2012 17:25, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 19/06/2012 18:19, Rod wrote:
I take it as read that most folk here have a generally favourable
reaction to most plants. We all have our favourites and pets of
course but I'm not thinking about that.
Rather I'm asking how visitors to your gardens react to what they
see/smell/touch?
Sadly I and Mrs Rod are beginning to conclude that most folks are
almost blind to plants or almost scared of them turning into triffids
and overwhelming the world.
Also profoundly ignorant - where were they when biology was being
taught at school?
In the last week or 2 we've seen a perfectly innocent Cedrus deodora
'pendula' destroyed because it was shedding it's old needles, a
lovely honeysuckle destroyed in full bud - the guy didn't even know
what it was and too stupid to ask.
A mature and beautiful bush of the rose 'Ena Harkness'
'pruned'(mutilated) in full flower - It was cut down to less than
half flowers/buds notwithstanding.
In our garden a common reaction is 'nice fence' or 'can I look in
your workshop?'
The profusion of flowers, foliage and scents commonly gets 'null points'

Rod

I think I must be very lucky, by those standards. Most of my
neighbours take an interest, and often an admiring interest :~). If
I'm gardening (pruning, working the soil or planting), there are
always questions about my plants, including the upkeep of them if
something is particularly admired.

Also, in our road, this interest extends to plant swaps, which makes
horticultural, social and financial sense. It often means that older
gardeners feel less isolated, and younger couples get help building up
their gardens whilst struggling with a mortgage. Even passing
strangers and acquaintances from the extended neighbourhood stop and
chat about gardens. I've even seen people stop and take photographs!

You are very lucky to have that but your garden must be very beautiful)

Thank you. It's very kind of you to say so but, like any garden, it has
its off days and problems. The joy of our little community is that I
can even talk problems through with the other gardeners. Most
satisfying :~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London