Old 22-06-2012, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More mushrooms

"Tom" wrote in message
2.222...
wrote in
:

wrote:
To a naive person, the fungus that grew in my garden that I
couldn't identify might have been taken for a horse or even
field mushroom. It was a suitable shape, with suitable gills,
whitish and the gills went pinkish brown as it matured. But
I think that it was a Hebeloma, all of which are poisonous
(though not lethal). I knew enough to be damn sure that it
wasn't an Agaricus, even if I couldn't tell what it was.

Blimey, they do look similar looking at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebeloma I /have/ grown plain common
mushrooms from a kit before (and I have one still /trying/ to grow in
the bathroom, but it's really really not having it!!), but there isn't
much risk going on there. :-}

Those pictures and description aren't sufficient for you
to be able to identify species accurately. Don't forget
that anyone can create/edit wackypedia pages, and there
is a whole sub-industry devoted to "sanitising" entries.

Is wackypedia a suitable basis for making life-criticla
decisions

No and neither was my mushroom book.
I made a bad decision once, never again.