Old 22-06-2012, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Foxes scratching holes in our bowing green

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

We were not absolutely sure that it was foxes as opposed to carrion
crows or other birds which were causing the damage so to remove any
doubt whatsoever I visited the green at about 9.30 p.m. last night and
made sure that all holes were filled and that everything was in order.
Then I sat in the darkness of our pavillion and between 10 pm and
11.15 pm four foxes, in one instance all at the same time, visited
the green and, although the lighting was not sufficient for me to see
exactly what they were doing at the time, I found shortly afterwards
that they had removed the fillings from two holes without there being
a bird or other animal in sight. Now that we definitely know the
cause of our problem I will at first try the pop bottles and if that
fails total disturbance of their habitat must be an option and maybe
the odd visit by a Jack Russell. Should that not work I may seek the
help of our local council.

Lots of luck with getting a council involved. Foxes are not considered
life-threatening here (and they aren't, normally) so no help will come
from there.
You will have to do it yourself.

Yes, you are right. Spoke to the council today and they have a neutral
policy regarding foxes. I have totally disturbed the foxes sleeping
area on nearby waste land and will visit it regularly in an endeavour to
encourage them to move on and hopefully that will work. The pop bottles
are in place so I am hoping that they will have the desired effect.

Continually disturbing their sleeping area might work. Forget the pop
bottles. I've seen the pop bottle idea mooted many times against cats,
foxes. Why would it be effective? Why would a fox be scared of a pop
bottle? they aren't.

Apparently they see their reflection in the bottle full of water and that
scares them off. I am about to go and to see if the bottles worked last
night and will let you know.

It was a very wet night and and not much damage, if any, is caused on such
nights, but something had slightly disturbed the surface of two holes and a
fox had defecated on the green. Will give it a longer trial period.