Old 23-06-2012, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default home composting

On Jun 22, 4:16*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Findlay Tulloch wrote:
will i just be able to use a normal bin and put grass cutting and that
stuff and get compost out?

Yes but it will be too small to heat up so you will be doing cold composting
which is slower but works fine in the end. *It will also have the
disadvantage that you cannot turn it easily. *Make sure it doesn't get too
wet or it will go anerobic and stink. *When it is full where will you put
your plant waste until the process is complete? *Usually people have 2 or 3
heaps or bins. I don't know why you would put grass clippings in it.

David

But you DO need to keep it moist. To expedite the process, nurseries
sell "compost starter". Anybody know what's in it?

Also, for climates or areas that don't have a lot of deciduous trees,
we don't get dead leaves in the autumn. So grass clippings are
necessary; maybe not tons, but at least some.

Whatever you do, refrain from using pine, etc. needles. I put in a
lot from the (whatever) in front of my house, and they just sat there.

I highly recommend keeping chickens whereever you can pen them up.
Years after the last one went to that great henhouse in the sky, the
soil back there is still so fertile, you just put in the seed and jump
back.

HB

(This is mild climate; So. Calif coastal)