Old 23-06-2012, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default home composting

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jun 22, 4:16 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Findlay Tulloch wrote:
will i just be able to use a normal bin and put grass cutting and
that stuff and get compost out?

Yes but it will be too small to heat up so you will be doing cold
composting which is slower but works fine in the end. It will also
have the disadvantage that you cannot turn it easily. Make sure it
doesn't get too wet or it will go anerobic and stink. When it is
full where will you put your plant waste until the process is
complete? Usually people have 2 or 3 heaps or bins. I don't know why
you would put grass clippings in it.

David

But you DO need to keep it moist. To expedite the process, nurseries
sell "compost starter". Anybody know what's in it?

I sprinkle a little dirt on the pile every few inches of added material, which I
believe inoculates the new addition with need bacteria. I have found that this
helps avoid uncomposted mats of material which used to occure since I do not
"turn" the pile.