Old 23-06-2012, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sweetheart sweetheart is offline

Default Weed torcch - anyone used these?

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:21:51 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Hello,

A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets
? -
they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle

I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on
what
kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?

I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my garden
with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and was
wondering if fire might be the answer.

Thanks for any advice.

The general consensus expressed here in the past has been that the
lightweight ones using a gas canister aren't much use, although the
big paraffin-powered flame-thrower types are effective against
shallow-rooted weeds (great fun to use if you're a closet
pyromaniac!). The important point to remember is that you're not
attempting to burn the weeds away, just to singe them lightly, to cook
them, in other words, after which they will collapse and die.

You say weed-killer these days seems to lack guts. Are you being too
impatient? Glyphosate is a very effective weed-killer, but you have to
allow it two or three weeks to take effect, and it does kill right to
the roots, whereas a blast with a flame gun may not deal with the
deep-rooted weeds and they will sprout again.

Thanks for the davice, I am not being impatient. The weedkiller simply
isnt working. This year so far I have poured several gallons of the stuff
over my weeds. They havent even died and they are growing more vigorously
than ever now ( since the rains). I always do the weed killing job when it
is dry and no rain in sight, so that is not the problem. I just think weed
killer is getting weak. EU rule about not letting oprdinary people use nasty
pestasides ( or a UK rule) - like the one which has given us gutless ,
slimey compost?