Old 23-06-2012, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Weed torcch - anyone used these?

On 23/06/2012 07:21, sweetheart wrote:
Hello,

A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets
? - they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle

I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on
what kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?

I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my
garden with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and
was wondering if fire might be the answer.

Glyphosate will kill any green plant it touches roots included. Takes
about two weeks for full effect so be patient - longer in the cold and
damp summer we are having at the moment. Faster acting things like
Weedol or Pathclear will do specific jobs more quickly and completely.

ISTR one of the more potent persistent weedkillers has been withdrawn
from use in the likes of Pathclear, but that doesn't affect its
immediate effect only how long the path stays weed free.

Thanks for any advice.

They are a complete waste of time and money unless you are an
Organic(TM) freak and subscribe to the all chemicals are bad scam.
Double irony is that burning weeds *will* make dioxins.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown