Old 23-06-2012, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Hungry Birds

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:38:29 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

Having been back from an extended holiday for a week or so, I've managed
to re-establish my garden as a feeding stop for the loacl feathered
fraternity. However now they seem to be abusing my hospitality with
their voracious appetites.

Usually a tube of seed lasts a day, and niger seed about 2/3 days and
peanuts about 3/4 days, but currently I'm filling the seed 2/3 times a
day, the niger daily and the peanuts every 2/3 days!

I know that they are feeding young at the moment (watched them feeding
on the trelis, then try to encourage the young onto the feeders!), but
I've never had this level of demand before. Anyone else noticed the
extra demand?

Sounds normal for here where we (the birds and I - "I" in the sense
that I put the stuff out for them) normally get through 26 kilos of
sunflower hearts and 13 kilos of peanuts a month.

Cheers, Jake
Ethiopian proverb: When spiders unite they can tie down a lion!

Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dah dah dee" theme tune but we're working on it.

I can't tell an astilbe from an aranthus
but I can from an acanthus!