Old 23-06-2012, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Deutzia

"Sacha" wrote ...

David Hill said:

Strange how these shrubs are so often overlooked by people.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...Deutziamxd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...tzia02ajpg.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Deutzia03.jpg

All lost lable sorry
David @ the damp and windy end of Swansea Bay

Looking at the last one, it's just possible that's Deutzia Magicien. If
you look on Google for images of it, you'll be able to tell. When Roy
Lancaster was here, he saw it growing in our garden and said to Ray "I
beter you sell masses of that". "Hardly any" was the reply. They seem to
have gone out of fashion, which is a shame because they're wonderful
shrubs. Janet and her friend loved it when they came here on Wednesday, so
now we've got to find one if we can, or send some bits!

The trouble is they need pruning hard immediately after flowering, taking
out all the just flowered canes, and people either don't understand that or
do not like to cut a large shrub down to a few new green shoots in the
middle of summer. It can ruin the look of a small garden. So they leave it
and it gets bigger and bigger and more ugly until they grub it out, same
thing with Lilac and Buddleia.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.