Old 24-06-2012, 01:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Hungry Birds

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:21:23 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Sounds normal for here where we (the birds and I - "I" in the sense
that I put the stuff out for them) normally get through 26 kilos of
sunflower hearts and 13 kilos of peanuts a month.

Ouch, that sounds expensive! How many feeders do you have? (I have 2
sunflower and one of the peanut and niger) Where do you get your feed?

Last lot I bought online from Arkwildlife and what you get through in a
month would cost around £80 - £90 depending on grade.

In the village where I live we have a bird food purchasing
cooperative.
One person collates and pays for the order and the independent
supplier gives a further discount on his already keen prices and
delivers to the coordinator.
As with anything like that you have to trust people to pay up but we
are a small place and the members were asked if they would like to
join in rather than put themselves forward.
As to the original question then the demand I find is very variable at
the moment. For days the birds are using the feeders far more than one
would expect for this time of the year,then you get a warmish day or
two and with insects rising from the pond and other places the birds
eat them. Temp drops and they return to the feeders.

G.Harman