Old 24-06-2012, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Hungry Birds

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:21:23 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Sounds normal for here where we (the birds and I - "I" in the sense
that I put the stuff out for them) normally get through 26 kilos of
sunflower hearts and 13 kilos of peanuts a month.

Ouch, that sounds expensive! How many feeders do you have? (I have 2
sunflower and one of the peanut and niger) Where do you get your feed?

Last lot I bought online from Arkwildlife and what you get through in a
month would cost around £80 - £90 depending on grade.

By the way, is the premium grade of peanut and sunflower hearts worth
the extra, or does it encourage the birds to eat more!

I also use Ark and order every other month and get the cheaper price
for 26 kilos of peanuts and 52 of sunflowers so it works out about £78
a month. As I spend more time watching the birds than I do the TV I
think it's good value. It's not unusual to see 15 or more birds on the
bird table with others flying in for a quick grab from the nearby
tree. Now the rats have been sorted, I'm putting sunflowers on the
ground as well. Then there are two hanging peanut feeders (four in
winter but two get displaced for hanging baskets in summer) and a
hanging sunflower feeder.

The visitor list includes:

great, long-tailed, blue and coal tits
chaff-, green-, gold- and bullfinches
thrushes and blackbirds
sparrows and starlings
collared doves
greater spotted woodpeckers

Plus fly-overs and occasional landings from sparrow hawks, buzzards
and herons

So plenty of variety

Cheers, Jake
Ethiopian proverb: When spiders unite they can tie down a lion!

Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dah dah dee" theme tune but we're working on it.

I can't tell an astilbe from an aranthus
but I can from an acanthus!