Old 25-06-2012, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Weed torcch - anyone used these?

On 25/06/2012 09:24, sweetheart wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
Virtually everyone on this NG is in agreement that glyphosate,
correctly applied, will kill most weeds, including deep rooted ones.
The obvious exception is yourself, which suggests you're doing
something wrong.

How do you apply the glyphosate? By watering-can or by spray? I ask,
because the dilutions required are different, the spray requiring a
significantly higher concentration. Are you by any chance making it up
at watering-can strength and then spraying it on, although even then I
would have expected some effect.

I am using a watering can. I do not have a sprayer . I followed the
instructions on the pack.

That is probably why you are getting lousy results then. And I very much
doubt that you have followed the instructions correctly. Glyphosate is
extremely effective if used properly you have to be doing something
incredibly stupid to prevent it from working.

Against large scale 10' high nettles unless you are standing on a high
step ladder with your watering can you are going to waste most of the
glyphosate on the ground. You did wet the leaves with it didn't you?

Glyphosate is deactivated on contact with the ground so unless it hits
green plant material on the way down you are completely wasting your
time. Invest in a decent shoulder carried sprayer with a wand and then
you can hit them effectively. You have probably already wasted a lot
more than the cost of a cheap sprayer in weedkiller. eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Litre-Pressu...ref=pd_cp_lp_0

Or one from any of the sheds. Hozelock's is vastly overpriced. Don't use
too fine a spray or it will drift causing serious collateral damage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown