Old 25-06-2012, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Weed torcch - anyone used these?

On 25/06/2012 11:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:22:44 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Against large scale 10' high nettles ...

When ever have you seen nettles 10'high? The ones growing around the fruit
bushes will get to 6' to find light but out in the open 3 or 4' is the
maximum.

I have seen them around 8' high in the shade of river banks. But the OPs
claim was for nettles 10' high. I suspect growing under a bridge ;-)

Nettles don't like being cutdown, even the swathes of nothing but nettles and
a good root matt are much reduced(*) by strimming a couple of times a year.

ie. A few nettles amongst the grass, rather than 100% nettle.

I have never had any great bother with nettles myself. I allow them to
grow in the wilder part of the garden to encourage butterflies.

I do have a continuous war of attrition with ground elder which gets
into my herbaceous borders from a neighbouring field and convolvolus
from another but nettles really don't put up much fight if I want rid.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown