Old 25-06-2012, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Rare Fuchsia

On 25/06/2012 18:03, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote ...

Hello Everyone,

I've been asked to look after and take cuttings of Fuchsia 'Violet
Szabo', which is apparently unavailable in this country and seems to
be generally rare. Does anyone know this plant or, better still, grow
it? I can't even find pics of it, let alone any cultural advice. It
would particularly help if I knew how hardy it was, so that I may
treat it accordingly.

The fuchsia belongs to a London school where Violet Szabo attended.
The school has a garden dedicated to her. The fuchsia has to be
protected during building works, and I have been asked. It is almost
irreplaceable, so I don't want to lose it, but at the same time must
build of fresh stock of it. No pressure then! :~[

Whilst it does seem to be available to ensure it's survival might I
suggest cuttings need to be taken and spread around more than one
gardener just in case you have a disaster. It's a single so may be
"hardy" but I would not try it in the garden until I had a good few
growing well.

Thanks, Bob. Yes, I had thought about spreading the cuttings around a
little in the hope of keeping it going. Until I see the plant, I won't
know just how much cuttings material I can remove. However, I have made
it clear that to gain lots of cuttings may take more than one season's
effort, *and* I have said that it is their risk, not mine.
I certainly shan't be risking it in the garden until I learn a bit more
about it. The last plant the school had was killed off this winter.
Just how many winters it survived previously, and in what conditions,
remain to be seen. The current plant apparently came from Belgium, but
that's as much as I know.

In due course, I will let everyone know how I got on. Fingers crossed.

Thank you to all who responded. Most grateful.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London