Old 26-06-2012, 01:20 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"The trouble is they need pruning hard immediately after flowering, taking
out all the just flowered canes, and people either don't understand that or
do not like to cut a large shrub down to a few new green shoots in the
middle of summer. It can ruin the look of a small garden. So they leave it
and it gets bigger and bigger and more ugly until they grub it out, same
thing with Lilac and Buddleia.
Philadelphus is popular. In general rather similar to Deutzia, flowers a bit less pretty, but much more scented, which I would guess is the winning feature. Philadelphus's pruning needs are similar also, though I don't know if Deutzia suffers more from not getting the proper pruning than Ph. In the end there's no room in my garden for a Deutzia because I already have a Philadelphus, and I chose one with fancier flowers than the norm. I'm happy to enjoy Deutzia when I encounter it elsewhere, not taking up room in my garden.