Old 27-06-2012, 10:39 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
My garden is very small, 5 yds by 9 yds but it is very full of plants.
It backs onto a path which serves our back gates.
Now the housing association who own the site have decided the paths
need upgrading (fine!) but also that for Health and Safety the lane
should have lights though we've managed for 30 years without lights!
They have put up a full height street lamp post immediately behind my
fence. We are fighting it but when/if they install the lamp it will
be 9 yds from my sitting room and bedroom windows.
I want to plant something to hide it. I had a lovely tall eucalyptus
growing there until 2 years ago but as it got tall I cut it back, as
they say you can do , but it did not regrow.
The fence runs S-N.
Any suggestions on something tall and slim?
There's not much space either width-wise or at soil level.
I don't like prunus amanaganogawa which a friend suggested.
On the new AT prog last night (more Ground Force!) someone planted
tall palms but that would not look right here.
Another euc? Or is there something else?
HELP please.
You probably want something evergreen, or it will shine through in the winter, which is most of the time you will want the light block...

Fastigiate is a useful word to desribe just what you are looking for, tall and thin. Among evergreens, you can get fastigiate yew, fastigiate junipers, and a number of fastigiate cypresses that are less of a nuisance than leylandii. This might give you some further ideas. http://www.barrelltreecare.co.uk/pdf...Fastigiate.pdf

Also things like Picea pungens (blue spruce) can stay fairly narrow.

There are eucs that don't grow as fast as others so are less of a nuisance than the commonly grown ones, eg E. pauciflora, nipophila, gregsoniana. However eucs are often a bit airy and may not block a street light very effectively. One that has much denser foliage than most others, and is a rather wonderful thing, is E. crenulata, but very hard to find. Though it is a blob-shaped tree, not columnar.