Thread: Id Needed!
View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old 27-06-2012, 01:40 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
That looks like giant hogweed. You wouldn't normally call it a "bush".

It's really very, very nasty. From Heracleum mantegazzianum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Protective clothing, including eye protection, should be worn when handling or digging it. If skin is exposed, the affected area should be washed thoroughly with soap and water and the exposed skin protected from the sun for several days."

"Giant Hogweed is a phototoxic plant. Its sap can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammations) when the skin is exposed to sunlight or to UV-rays. Initially the skin colours red and starts itching. Then blisters form as it burns within 48 hours. They form black or purplish scars that can last several years. Hospitalisation may be necessary.[7] Presence of minute amounts of sap in the eyes can lead to temporary or even permanent blindness.[9] These reactions are caused by the presence of linear derivatives of furocoumarin in its leaves, roots, stems, flowers and seeds. These chemicals can get into the nucleus of the epithelial cells, forming a bond with the DNA, causing the cells to die. The brown colour is caused by the production of melanin by furocoumarins."
ooh not good then considering i only had garden gloves on!!
this morning my arms werent any where near as itchy, and the rash i came out in seems to have gone down leaving only a few small red marks and bumps ud see from stinging nettle contact.. a friend thinks it might be chaya?