Old 27-06-2012, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Tall plant needed

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:17:24 +0200, Emery Davis
wrote:

On 06/27/2012 11:04 AM, Pam Moore wrote:
.
Any suggestions on something tall and slim?
There's not much space either width-wise or at soil level.

Hi Pam,

How about one of the fastigate beeches? Some of them stay very narrow,
and would have the added advantage of keeping some leaf coverage in winter.

I have Fagus sylvatica 'Dawyck Purple', at maybe 15 ft tall it can't be
more than a couple of feet diameter, and I've never pruned it. I'd like
to plant Dawyck Gold also, which has a RHS AGM. 'Red obelisk' is
another upright cultivar.

Sorry to hear about the street lamp. I have lived with one, you will
get used to it eventually...

-E

Thanks for all suggestions. We are hoping we will get it taken down,
We prefer a bollard light below 6 ft fence level.
However, if planting is necessary I'll have to consider cost and
speed of growth.
It's a metal lamp-post. I could wrap it in mesh and train something
up my side of the fence and over onto it. Nothing will grow up metal
will it?
One neighbour has suggested using an air-gun!!!
Adding insult to injury they are expecting us to pay for it!!!
Many thanks.

Pam in Bristol