Old 28-06-2012, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Rare Fuchsia

On 2012-06-25 15:09:12 +0100, Spider said:

Hello Everyone,

I've been asked to look after and take cuttings of Fuchsia 'Violet
Szabo', which is apparently unavailable in this country and seems to
be generally rare. Does anyone know this plant or, better still, grow
it? I can't even find pics of it, let alone any cultural advice. It
would particularly help if I knew how hardy it was, so that I may
treat it accordingly.

The fuchsia belongs to a London school where Violet Szabo attended.
The school has a garden dedicated to her. The fuchsia has to be
protected during building works, and I have been asked. It is almost
irreplaceable, so I don't want to lose it, but at the same time must
build of fresh stock of it. No pressure then! :~[

I had a few Spanish lessons from her daughter, Tania, who lives - or
lived - in Jersey and ran a language school there. As far as I know,
she's still there. I remember seeing a showcase with her parents' medals
in it. It might be worth seeing if you can contact her to see if she has
this plant OR contacting Jersey's Parks & Gardens people to ask the same
question.

That's interesting, Sacha. Alas, I believe it is Tania who will return
to the school (after the big rebuild) and comemmorate the garden in
the name of her mother. It will be a big day for the school. Because
of this, I'm not sure it would be appropriate for me to approach
Tania. It is, however, worth remembering just in case I/the plant have
an emergency. I'm hoping all will go will, but I am concerned about
how hardy it is. I think this is going to be an interesting learning
curve.

I won't be able to use the computer for a couple of days, so I'll look
in again on Thursday.

Thanks again to Sacha, and to everyone who has responded. It's been a
real help.

You could try these people who list it
http://www.riversidefuchsias.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Thanks Sacha. It's the same link that Jake posted and I've bookmarked
it now. They do list it, so it may be worth a telephone call. At the
moment, I don't need to buy one; I just want as much information as
possible. It is good to know that I may be able to get one in the UK if
need be.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London