Old 28-06-2012, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Fly-Midge repellent

On 2012-06-28 10:03:27 +0100, David Hill said:

On 28/06/2012 09:43, Bill Grey wrote:
"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 2012-06-26 18:42:15 +0100, "RiversideRed" said:

Hi, We are swarmed with Midge and an array of almost invisible white
fly, all brands of repellent seem to only attract
them. Has anyone any tips on avoiding these pests, I have thought of
lighting an oily rag whilst working,but it would probably only choke me.
Mike Northumberland.

Skin So soft by Avon. Seriously. Candian lumberjacks use it!

So do shepherds in the northern Highlands.

works well for some animals too

Has been used with great success on midge troubled horses.

Bill

Is that Lotion or spray on?

You can get both. Do note that it doesn't advertise itself as an
insect repellent because that's not what it's made for, so rules don't
permit that kind of publicity. Those 'in the know' have been aware of
it for years, though. I think the USA does allow it to be advertised
for that use but am not certain of that. The one that works for midges
etc. is the Soft & Fresh range, originally called Woodland Scent, or
something like that! But it's the Soft & Fresh bit that's important.
Just Google for Skin So Soft and then look at the Soft & Fresh range.

When we went to NZ a few years ago we went armed with SSS spray
especially for the midges on Milford Sound. It poured with rain and
we didn't see a single midge! The other advantage of the overnight
rain was that the waterfalls were more spectacular next morning!

Pam in Bristol