Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
At the back of my potato patch (under a tree and close to a fence),
the hulmes of my first earlies (Sharps Express) have suffered
substantial attack by some leaf eating creatures, almost completely
stripping them. My FIL - an octogenarian gardener - was unable to
advise, never having seen the phenomenon.

I note the presence of a fair number of snail shells in the 'bed'
behind the patch which I have left relatively fallow but also where I
have been 'generous' with Bayer pellets.

Any ideas?

Regards
JonH
I would guess slugs. I've had potato leaf damage for the first time, but we have had 6 non-summers on the trot, and the slug populations have built up hugely. Damage has stopped after liberal application of pellets.