Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Diseased Tree - HELP!

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 12:11:53 +0000, atticboy68 wrote:

Hi Kay

Based in 'sunny' Scotland, where it rains constantly! Thanks for the
advice. The tree seems 'sound' but the leave are falling off. In fact
there none left on it now. Shame really. The local garden cenre will get
a visit.

I'm in "sunny" western Oregon where our "morning showers" yesterday and
today have been two days of steady rain. (I've been standing on the porch,
pointing east, and yelling at the clouds to get over the mountains and
dump it on Colorado, please!) I know the situation well.

Generally what happens is the tree will push out a second set of leaves
in a few weeks. Some fertilizer in the fall, fairly low N, will probably
help the tree -- I'd put it on just before the fall deluge starts if your
soils are as nutrient-poor as mine.

Might want to rake up those shed leaves now and dispose of them elsewhere
just to keep the pool of inoculum smaller.