Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default one mans flower is another mans weed

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 12:14:13 +0200, Emery Davis
wrote:

On 07/02/2012 11:54 AM, Martin Brown wrote:

I'd hazard a guess that the soil is too fertile or well drained! It will
grow in the most inhospitable of places at least on a clay soil.

I think that's probably exactly right. I had it at the base of a
hornbeam hedge, in ground that was tunneled under by voles (and moles I
expect) so that any water just disappeared. It thrived there for years!

I love the stuff.

Soil here is a heavy clay (at the moment, liquid mud!). But too
fertile may be the reason as I've spent 20 years adding nutritious
stuff to the soil (which is why I don't bother with nasturtiums as
they're all leaf and little flower).

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dee dee deeee" theme tune but we're working on it.

Can't tell astilbe from aranthus
But I can from an acanthus!