Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whitetop or Cardaria (Lepidium) draba!

In message , Jake
writes
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:39:27 +0100, Spider wrote:

This is, I believe, the identity of the weed which perniciously invades
part of my garden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitetop

http://www.unce.unr.edu/programs/sites/tallwhitetop/

http://jennwarren.hubpages.com/hub/C...oxious-Weeds-I
n-Your-Lawn-and-Garden

Sorry for all the links, but this weed has been the bane of my life for
30 years. I *may* be just starting to see its grip loosening. I've
even risked planting that part of my garden again (except for one
corner). Previously, I've never dared move a wanted plant from that
area of the garden to another for fear of spreading it. I dream of the
day I never see another leafy spring rosette. Pedipalps crossed.

Oh dear. TBH, I've never heard of this weed being found in the UK
before. I must lead a very sheltered life.

There's a largish colony by a canal bank a couple of miles away from me,
but it's scarce of much of the country. It tends to be southeastern and
coastal.
Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dee dee deeee" theme tune but we're working on it.

There are a couple of recorded sites at the east end of Swansea Bay, but
there could be less than 50 sites in the whole of Wales.

Can't tell astilbe from aranthus
But I can from an acanthus!

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley