Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whitetop or Cardaria (Lepidium) draba!

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2012-07-02 17:49:46 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Jake
writes
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:39:27 +0100, Spider wrote:

This is, I believe, the identity of the weed which perniciously
invades
part of my garden.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitetop
http://www.unce.unr.edu/programs/sites/tallwhitetop/

http://jennwarren.hubpages.com/hub/C...oxious-Weeds-I
n-Your-Lawn-and-Garden
Sorry for all the links, but this weed has been the bane of my
life for
30 years. I *may* be just starting to see its grip loosening. I've
even risked planting that part of my garden again (except for one
corner). Previously, I've never dared move a wanted plant from that
area of the garden to another for fear of spreading it. I dream of the
day I never see another leafy spring rosette. Pedipalps crossed.
Oh dear. TBH, I've never heard of this weed being found in the UK
before. I must lead a very sheltered life.

There's a largish colony by a canal bank a couple of miles away from
me, but it's scarce of much of the country. It tends to be
southeastern and coastal.
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dee dee deeee" theme tune but we're working on it.

There are a couple of recorded sites at the east end of Swansea Bay,
but there could be less than 50 sites in the whole of Wales.

It would appear that Spider has a rarity and should now go into high
reverse with eradicating it!! I've never seen it before and thought it
looked quite attractive...

It's more common in Somerset and south Gloucestershire, but its
strongholds are between Southampton and Ipswich.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley