Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Whitetop or Cardaria (Lepidium) draba!

On 02/07/2012 17:38, Spider wrote:
On 02/07/2012 17:20, Spider wrote:
On 02/07/2012 16:14, Jake wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:39:27 +0100, wrote:

This is, I believe, the identity of the weed which perniciously invades
part of my garden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitetop

http://www.unce.unr.edu/programs/sites/tallwhitetop/

http://jennwarren.hubpages.com/hub/C...awn-and-Garden

Sorry for all the links, but this weed has been the bane of my life for
30 years. I *may* be just starting to see its grip loosening. I've
even risked planting that part of my garden again (except for one
corner). Previously, I've never dared move a wanted plant from that
area of the garden to another for fear of spreading it. I dream of the
day I never see another leafy spring rosette. Pedipalps crossed.

Oh dear. TBH, I've never heard of this weed being found in the UK
before. I must lead a very sheltered life.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dee dee deeee" theme tune but we're working on it.

Can't tell astilbe from aranthus
But I can from an acanthus!

It was in part of my garden when we moved in 31 years ago. I wasn't
aware of it until I decided to turn a lawn into a flower garden. Then it
started to crop up all over that bed. Fortunately, it was land-locked,
so its spread was limited. I've no idea how it got here, but if leading
a sheltered life is a prerequisite to living without it, I think I'll
join a nunnery.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga.../weed.php?id=9

Just found a link which shows how it came to Britain. Since it reports
it to be found mainly in the Southern and Eastern regions of the UK (My
sil in Essex used to have it), that makes it sound quite likely.

Accidentally introduced to Swansea (Glamorgan) in 1802,

Probably found it much to wet so decided to travel along the railway
tracks till it found ground more to it's liking.

A perennial rhizomatous herb of roadsides, and on dry limestone or
clinker ballast of railways. It also grows on waste ground, in arable
fields on light soils, on sand dunes and other sandy ground,
particularly near the sea, and in the uppermost zone of salt marshes.
Lowland.

Might be around here but I keep away from railway tracks.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.