Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Whitetop or Cardaria (Lepidium) draba!

On 2012-07-02 17:49:46 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
saidsnip

There are a couple of recorded sites at the east end of Swansea Bay,
but there could be less than 50 sites in the whole of Wales.

It would appear that Spider has a rarity and should now go into high
reverse with eradicating it!! I've never seen it before and thought it
looked quite attractive...

You wouldn't think that if you'd lived with it for 30 years! It is
only pretty when in flower, and that is when it is most dangerous.
Although most of those links suggest hoeing is *eventually* effective,
I haven't dared take a hoe to it for fear of chopping up the root and
spreading it.

We also had Japanese Knotweed when we moved in. I managed to eradicate
that (although I note it's approaching again from a rear 'garden'),
but Whitetop is horrendous. Don't wish for it. There are plenty of
other white flowers .. Ground Elder, for instance ;~)).

I've always though GE has a very pretty leaf! ;-) But while I've never
met your particular pestiferous plant, I can quite see that if it's
taking over, it's a pain!

Yes indeed, GE does have a very pretty leaf *and* flower, but I still
wouldn't invite it into my garden, even if variegated. A certain
Victorian gentleman called Robinson thought Japanese Knotweed was very
handsome. If he'd visited my garden over a hundred years later, I'd
have told him to roll it up very tightly and smoke it;~). Apparently
fire is an excellent way of destroying heaps of JKW.

Do feel free, Sacha, to admire my robust weed. I have no problem with
that, so long as I may continue to haul it up by the root ... so long as
we both shall live :~/

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London