Old 03-07-2012, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default "Filing' winter seeds

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 06:23:17 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
I planted some left over mammoth sunflower seeds I had saved from last
year and after two weeks none germinated. I rushed out and bought a
new packet, a big $1.49, and after six days they began to stick their
heads up, I'm hoping that there are enough days left this season for
them to mature even though they are only used to feed birds. Don't be
a cheapo *******, buy new seeds each year.

some cheapo *******s are planting a lot of seeds. if i'd
run out and bought seeds for each planting this year i'd be
set back about $150 (even if they were available locally --
many weren't). as it turned out my worst germination this
year has been with some of the store bought seeds.

songbird

Most of my tomato plants this year are from seeds packed for and dated
2003. I have no idea if I'll get any of the usual NJ plagues between
now and harvest, but other than that worry, it is the most lush and
healthy bunch of tomato plants I have ever grown.

I did not start them in seed pots, either. I direct sow once the
ground warms up.

I grow my sunflowers from seeds I cull from what I put out in the bird
feeder.

I have a large collection of seeds I have acquired and saved from
favorite plants. I add to it each year and rotate out/plant a lot of
them, of course, but I tend to buy at sales towards the end of the
season or whenever I see a bargain.

Boron