Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default "Filing' winter seeds

On 3 Jul 2012 15:42:03 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 19:46:12 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Finally neatening up my messy seeds. How to save the "winter" seeds
for next year? Radish, bokchoy, spinach, lettuce, sugar peas, carrots, etc.

In my experinece it's a false economy to save vegetable seeds; buy
only as much as you can use (share with a fellow gardener if you can).
There is no economy in planting old seeds that don't germinate. By
the time you realize they are useless you've lost the growing season.

But if you store seeds correctly, they'll germinate for many years. I've
grown sunflowers from 20 year old seeds, same germination percent as
marked on the package.

the seeds and wax into the sticks. The company kept the seeds in a
large walk-in climate controlled humidor, but at the end of the
production cycle they discarded all unused seeds, because if they sold

More likely they ditched them because they would have had to pay to have the
seed germination tests redone so they could be sold the following year.
Germ testing needs to be done within 5 months of the time the seeds are
shipped for sale, per FSA. At $100 or so per lot to be tested, that adds
up quickly --
it's cheaper to buy fresh seed in most instances.

Make up your mind.