Old 04-07-2012, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Weed torcch - anyone used these?

On 04/07/2012 00:12, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Alan Holmes
writes
I don't think that would work very well as you need to soak the leaves to
make the weedkiller effective.

Alan

Alan I've always been led to believe that bruising the leaves means the
weed killer gets into the system better?

Also she says that she can't get to them as they are so tall so at least
this way she can get to the back of them.

It only really matters for things that are water repellent and either
have very waxy outer coats (like ivy or holly) or a silica exoskeleton
(like equisetums).

Most normal green plants are toast when you hit them with glyphosate and
if you make a mistake you need to cut the affected part off PDQ.

The mistake the OP seemed to be making was chopping everything down and
then applying glyphosate to what was left. This is about the worst
possible way to use it and wastes most of the active ingredient.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown