Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default chipmunks eating tomatoes

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 09:19:08 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

On 7/3/2012 4:29 PM, frinjdwelr wrote:

How does one keep tomatoes safe from chipmunks who love to eat them even
before they start to ripen? The little buggers can climb anywhere.

"PhoenixWench" wrote in message

Chicken wire fencing, including right over the top!

Builders of fruit cages against chipmunks should keep in
mind that these animals dig their own burrows.

And that is the problem with groundhogs, too. Any fencing or caging
has to be sunk below ground and anchored, and even then, a good
burrower can get through if determined.

All one can hope if that one's protective efforts offer just enough
bother that the critters go next door to the neighbor's garden.

I use rat traps near the tomatoes to deter chipmunks, but that is amid
large tubs on a deck. I haven't tried traps in open garden to deter
groundhogs and probably won't as the devastation of a groundhog is
astoundingly depressing coming at the end of the season near harvest.
If it is early on with seedlings, one can try re-planting.

I have used have-a-heart traps to capture groundhogs, however this is
spotty in success and a bother to relocate the groundhog (illegal in
my area, too. I am permitted to kill on the premises, or release, but
not to relocate.)

Boron