Old 06-07-2012, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ross@home Ross@home is offline

Default Pepper or squash?

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:22:18 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Ross@home wrote:
We have a bit of a quandry.
Picked up a 4-cell pack of transplants with this tag:
http://tinypic.com/r/xcu2cy/6
Description is of peppers and the picture definitely shows the calyx
and stem of peppers.
But, the planting instructions are more for squash-type plants plus
the leaves on the plants are squash-like rather than pepper-type
leaves.
The tag contains no information as to the the grower. The plants were
purchased at the garden center of a big box store so asking the staff
there would be a total waste of time.
They got planted in the squash part of the garden so I guess we'll
just have to wait and see what they produce.

Ross
Southern Ontario, Canada.
Ag Canada Zone 5B

Yes the planting instructions are for a curcurbit and the photo is of a
pepper. If you had posted a photo of what you actually have instead of the
label it would be easy to determine which it is. Did you not have your
coffee that morning? If you use google images to find some pictures of each
you ought to be able to work it out yourself, the two types have quite
different characteristics even as little seedlings.

David

Thanks for the most gracious reply.
Yes, I had my one cup of coffee that morning as I do every morning.
Although I am unfamiliar with the *curcurbit* to which you refer, I am
fully aware of the herbaceous structure of both Cucurbitaceae and
Piperaceae seedlings, having grown both for the last 50+ years.
My post was more tongue-in-cheek about whether Monsanto or perhaps
Cargill were into the business of gene splicing these two vegetables
for some new source of revenue.
I apologize for the lack of emoticons in my original post.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
Ag Canada Zone 5B