Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Volunteer Cucurbita

any guesses on what I've got here?
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...h%20Volunteer/

Leaf, blossom, 'overall' and a tiny fruit photo.

The fruit is kind of egg shaped today-- but the blossom hasn't even
opened yet.

It volunteered early this spring on a pile of sod and topsoil next to
my compost bin. I *suspect* it could be from a wintermelon or a
squash from the Asian store.

I *did* grow a Tahitian Squash last year, but I don't remember the
leaves being so big-- It does have the *spirit* of the Tahitian as
it is headed across the garden at a rapid pace.

Jim