Old 06-07-2012, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Volunteer Cucurbita

Based on a sample of three, and allowing for the fact that one
catalog/county/person's squash is another's pumpkin, it resembles the
pumpkin I'm currently growing (Kakai - hulless seeds) more than the
squash or melon I'm growing. Which is nearly worthless, but you get what
you pay for sometimes.

I had to delve into hand pollination - the bees were not doing it, and
the squash bugs evidently don't offer that service along with their more
detrimental aspects, despite being in all the flowers. I'v seen a bee or
two about, but the micro-fruits were just rotting off the vine until I
started pollinating.