Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuckle View Post
Thank you Kay. You might be on the right track actually. A couple of weeks after I transplanted the seedlings a large number of them died very suddenly while the remaining ones thrived. There was nothing in between.

Do you think the dead ones were the other colours? If so does anyone have any ideas what I could do next year to help the other colours survive.

I understand that wild Matthiola Incana is purple. Could this be the reason why the purple ones are hardier?
Transplanting always damages the root system a bit. It seems to kill quickly - ie if they survive the transplanting they thrive. No way of telling which colours didn't survive.

It is possible that you were sent duff seed, ie wild-type M incana. Try contacting the seed supplier.

I once grew a packet of Lychnis coronaria 'alba' only to find that they were the nasty magenta colour and not the white ones.